Jun 22, 2009

I was unaware

Hello All,

Some of you already know that my husband Steve and I have begun studying the Bible. For the past 6 weeks we have been doing a Bible study every Sunday night. In doing so I never thought to become so enlightened. So in light of this I've decided to do a post every Monday on some sort of knowledge that I've realized from the Bible the night before... here goes.

When I was growing up every adult around me would always try to give me some insight that would help me in my adult years about how one should live. I never realized that many of these insights are derived from the bible. Hidden with in this one book can be found all of those little saying and tips, here are examples of just a few.

Boys are supposed to have short hair, girls should have long.
Corinthians 11:14-15 Dose not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a women has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. While I know this school of though dose not convey into today's style of things my Grandfather can still be heard commenting anytime he See's a boy with a ponytail. If asked why he's so adverse to the style he simply replies that it's just not right.

Never go to sleep Angry.
Ephesians 4:26-27 In your anger do not sin, do not let the sun go down while you are still angry. This was a piece of advise my mother gave me when I got married.

Education is the key to success.
Proverbs 24:3 Through wisdom a house is built. This is only one example of the many times knowledge is sited as being good in the eyes of the Lord. Today we place a lot of stock on higher education and it's good to see that furthering one's mind is in keeping with God's will.

If at first you don't succeed try, try again.
Proverbs 24:10 If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small. Perseverance is greatly rewarded today and is also a desired trait by God.

Those that have a closed mind also have a closed heart.
Ephesians 4:17-18 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is them now due to the hardening of their hearts. The people out there that think they know everything never open themselves to anyone else for knowledge, and in doing so they cut themselves off from God.


These are just a few little insights that I've gleaned from the Bible so far that I've often heard used in every day life. I know many of the people who have reiterated these teachings have no idea that they are derived from the bible, I know I didn't. It makes me wonder what else we are not giving religion proper credit for. It seems that today religion has become taboo, but the basis of our fundamental lives, Countries, and governments are all derived and based on religion. So how is it we can shun something that is a foundation of who we are as a human being?



5 comments:

  1. very interesting! but i am going to disagree...don't hate me...jesus had long hair...no two ways about it, he had long hair for our standards. now, the accepted length was not written, so perhaps that was not long for those days? who knows? i personally do not care for the long haired look nor do i care for the bald look. so i guess i am in between. thanks for getting some thinking going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you got me there. lol. I'll have to bring that up at the next Bible study. See it just reinforces the whole truth about everyone being a student, there's always more to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, tell me what they say! that will be fun. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you know Jesus had long hair?

    ReplyDelete
  5. all the portraits, paintings in the museums in rome, etc... all show longer hair. there are probably historians that studied the biblical times could attest to it as well...perhaps men wore 'longer' hair as was common with that culture...not a historian by any means but too many visuals show the same thing from all sorts of different time periods.

    ReplyDelete